Last week I wrote my teary-eyed homage to the decade as it closes; this week I want to share the lightness and the humor of reflecting on a decade lived. Through-and-through a Gemini. One moment incredibly blithe and happy; the next quiet and contemplative. Writing these two posts – one serious, one humorous – fits both my ‘sides’.
Below is an overview of the major areas of “life” – if one can be so bold as to categorize life. Love. Family. Career. Fitness. Wellness. Food. My perspective on each of these life-areas as a 20-year-old, as a 25-year-old and my present day 30-year-old self. I hope this list makes you laugh. Feel a connection. And maybe find a little of yourself!
- At 20: Boyfriend? A quick make-out session with that cute guy from biochem, but forget about that boyfriend part.
- At 25: How on earth did I end up in Detroit, Michigan? At least the summers are nice. Too bad summer is only 8 weeks.
- At 30: Long distance for the third time? Australia ⇆ Los Angeles? I must be insane or really love this guy. Is there a difference?
- At 20: I will never have kids. Ugh. I don’t even want to get MARRIED!
- At 25: Oh I’m so glad we have a puppy! A dog is so much better than having children!
- At 30: One or two won’t be so bad. We can do this parenthood thing, right? Our dog will help raise our kids!
- At 20: Busy making plans for world domination. And changing my undergrad major 4 times in 3 years.
- At 25: 2 graduate degrees in 3 years completed!! $50k in student loans, no experience and no jobs to be found. Huh…
- At 30: Can someone please give me a bottle of
champagnevodka for surviving my first year of freelance?
- At 20: You know, I’d love to stay and party but if I don’t wake up and run my 16 miles tomorrow I will totally let Hal Higdon down in my marathon training plan and ruin my times in the next race.
- At 25: Have you heard of Lady Gaga? She’s so weird but my spinning group ex classes just LOVE her music! I’ll burn you a CD of my playlist!
- At 30: Which way to savasana? Thanks!
- At 20: I heard that you actually GET herpes and STIs at the student health center.
- At 25: Campus medical is included in my grad assistantship package!! Health insurance is soooo expensive!
- At 30: Will a company PLEASE offer healthcare that covers my green juice, yoga and monthly massage?
- At 20: I don’t really know what “vegan” means, but it’s like the same thing as low-fat and low-calorie, right?
- At 25: Are you serious? I grew up in the Midwest. How can I be allergic to dairy? How will I tell my family I can’t eat cheese?
- At 30: I can’t eat 95% of the things they serve on this menu between my dairy allergies and food intolerances. Just come over and I’ll make lunch.
celebrate with me!
I made the above “CELEBRATE” as a digital goodie for YOU! Because a party is much more friend when you share it with your friends! Here’s what to do to get this pretty, glitter-filled reminder to CELEBRATE onto your desktop: (1) Select your wallpaper size: 1020 x 768 / 1280 x 800 (2) Install your wallpaper: Mac / Windows (3) Snap a picture of your device with its new “celebrate” theme and share on Instagram or Twitter by tagging – @WELLinLA on both – or #WELLinLA if you prefer the hashtag route.