On Saturday July 16th, 2011, as I picked up an incoming call a smile spread across my face. It was my best friend. Her voice sounded slightly alarmed as she asked “… are you okay?”. My response was equally filled with confusion as I replied “yeah… I’m fine….? What’s up?”. She explained she had been watching CNN and MSNBC, hearing reports of “chaos and ‘Carmageddon’ in Los Angeles”. I laughed and assured her I was fine. We were actually enjoying the slowed pace of life. In a city with perpetual sunshine “Carmageddon” felt like a long-overdue snow-day. The pace slowed. People walked, biked or spent time with their neighbors. I swear that people even SMILED more. How could you not? I mean – how cool is L.A. without all the cars?
The big bad city seems better prepared for Carmageddon Part II this weekend. I was more than amused to receive a postcard from the city’s Metro system informing our household of alternate transportation options available. Me? I’m taking this as a personal challenge to be car-free all weekend. As a former east-coaster, I adore fewer cars and being on foot or bike (not always practical in L.A.). You don’t have to live in L.A. to create a car-free (almost spelled that as care-free! Hey, Freud!) weekend. There will be 9,000,000+ people rallying with you in spirit, no matter where in the world you may be. But if you are here…
WHAT TO DO THIS WEEKEND IN L.A.
- hoopLA – my friend Whitney curates a great blog of cool events happening in/around L.A.
- Pedal Power, LAist’s guide on where/what do do if you’re on bike
- HuffPost’s roundup of bike parties!
- Artmageddon, a comprehensive map + guide of theaters, galleries, museums and music by neighborhood
- Wine, Food & Beer festival rundown… yes – this is a great time to have a party! ;)